Real estate issues require local resources and lawyers with expertise in a broad range of legal issues that often arise in the context of real estate transactions. At Mitchell Williams, our team of real estate lawyers has local experience across the state with extensive experience with a myriad of real estate matters.
Our real estate clients include public companies, privately-held businesses, developers, investors, financial institutions and municipalities and other governmental agencies. We serve as strategic advisors to help ensure that our clients achieve their business objectives. When a multitude of distinct skills are needed, our team draws on the resources of a full-service firm to provide the regulatory, litigation, business, tax and public financing experience that a complex real estate matter sometimes requires.
Our capabilities include:
- Acquisition and Development - Purchase and development of office buildings, office parks, warehouse and distribution facilities, industrial parks, residential multifamily complexes, single-family residential developments, medical centers, nursing homes, and energy related projects.
- Affordable Housing - Work with developers (for profit and nonprofit) investors, lenders, syndicators, loan servicers, state and local housing authorities and agencies, managers and contractors on all aspects of affordable housing development including tax-exempt and taxable multifamily housing bonds; low-income housing tax credits, new market tax credits, historic rehabilitation credits, HUD/FHA multifamily programs, HUD transfers of physical assets, special needs HUD multifamily programs, senior housing, HUD regulatory compliance, community development block grant program, HOME investment partnerships program, federal home loan bank affordable housing program, section 8 contracts and compliance and prepayment and preservation.
- Economic Development Incentives and Public/Private Projects - Provide insight and representation for clients seeking economic development incentives including grants, low-interest loans, tax credits, tax exemptions, pooled financings and tax-exempt financing.
- Land Use and Zoning - Assist property owners and developers to obtain planning and zoning approvals and permits, assist clients with development issues involving easements, site development and access issues, represent clients in appeals before municipal zoning hearing boards and trial and appellate courts.
- New Market Tax Credits (NMTC) - Assist NMTC participants, particularly Qualified Active Low-Income Community Businesses (QALICBs), in gaining competitive advantages through planning and structuring complex NMTC financial arrangements.
- Real Estate Finance - Represent financial institutions in real estate collateralized loans and real estate owners in selecting financing products to best suit their business needs including traditional mortgage loans, mortgage securitizations, off-balance sheet financings, interest rate swaps, bank syndications and bond market financings.
- Real Estate Leasing - Represent landlords and tenants in leasing transactions including build-to-suit leases, turnkey leases, tenant improvement allowance leases, subleases, office leases, retail leases, warehouse and industrial leases and manufacturing facility leases.
- Real Estate Litigation - Represent clients in matters of foreclosure judgments, ownership disputes, easement and boundary disputes, lease disputes, right of first refusal, buy-sell agreements, specific performance disputes, tax appeals, land use and zoning appeals, and eminent domain and condemnation matters.
- Real Estate Taxation -Represent property owners and developers in the appeal of real estate tax assessments.