Derrick W. Smith
Derrick Smith is an experienced strategic advisor and advocate assisting national and regional clients in insurance regulatory law, compliance and investigative and legislative matters. He represents insurance clients in their interactions with state insurance departments throughout the United States providing counsel on insurance law and regulatory compliance. He has substantial experience representing regulated businesses and entities in all aspects of government relations including legislative and regulatory solutions and contracting and procurement to maximize business opportunities. With the complexities of changing laws and interpretations by regulatory bodies, Derrick provides up-to-date counsel that enables businesses and entities to work successfully with regulators and government representatives at the local and state levels.
- Extensive experience representing insurance company clients in obtaining regulatory approvals of insurance company transactions including formations, re-domestications, mergers and acquisitions and demutualizaions.
- Represents clients in matters of negotiating and resolving multiple single and multi-state market conduct investigations.
- Assists insurance company clients with the development of new insurance products from the preparation of policy language though regulatory approval.
- Advises insurance companies and related entities regarding compliance with laws governing licensing, claims adjudication and sales practices.
- Assists trade associations, insurance companies, public utilities and other enterprises with achieving policy goals by drafting legislation and advocating for and against legislation and agency rules and regulations.
- Assists political candidates, ballot question committees and political action committees in matters of preparing and reviewing campaign finance reports.
- Represents clients in matters of challenging and defending state procurement decisions.
- Served as a law clerk to the Honorable Olly Neal, Arkansas Court of Appeals.
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Administrative/Regulatory Law (2016-2021)
- Arkansas Business Arkansas 250 Most Influential Leader (2018-2020)
- Arkansas Business 40 Under 40 (2006)
- President, State Law Resources, Inc.
- Chair, Membership Committee
- Board of Directors, Mitchell Williams
- Board of Trustees, Pulaski Academy
- Board of Trustees, Hendrix College
- Chair, City of Little Rock Citizen Review Board
- Arkansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- W. Harold Flowers Law Society
- Commissioner, Arkansas Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission (2005-2017)
- Commissioner, Arkansas Lottery Commission (2009-2011)
- President, Hendrix College Alumni Association Board of Governors (2003-2004)
- Commissioner, Little Rock Central High Integration 50th Anniversary Commission (2004-2008)
News & Articles