Stan D. Smith
Stan Smith is a business attorney with more than 30 years of experience assisting business clients with commercial transactions, general corporate law, contract negotiation, corporate bankruptcy matters, secured transactions, business litigation and financial workouts. He regularly serves as general counsel to many of his clients on a variety of business and legal issues. Stan has extensive bankruptcy litigation experience including pursuit and defense of preference and fraudulent conveyance actions. He has served as lead and co-counsel in some of the most complex bankruptcy cases in the state of Arkansas and constructed numerous workouts and debt restructurings.
- Represents clients in corporate and limited liability company formations, corporate acquisitions and related tax issues.
- Represents corporate and individual clients in business litigation and contract disputes.
- Served as debtor’s counsel in a number of Chapter 11 cases and routinely represents creditors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases.
- Lead debtor’s counsel in a successful chapter 11 reorganization of a holding company with several funeral home subsidiaries.
- Lead counsel for approved stalking horse bidder in chapter 11 proceedings of bank holding company and related section 363 of stock in a subsidiary bank.
- Lead counsel in a successful out of court reorganization of a convenience store chain with over 500 locations.
- Coordinated multi-party settlement on behalf of bondholders in a chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding resulting in full payment of defaulting bonds.
- Experience with periodic reporting and registration filings to the Securities Exchange Commission and regularly advises corporate clients on governmental compliance matters.
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2006-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Litigation - Bankruptcy (2011-2021)
- Best Lawyers® 2018: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Best Lawyers® 2020: Litigation - Bankruptcy "Lawyer of the Year"
- American Bar Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Pulaski County Bar Association
- Arkansas Society of CPAs
- Debtor/Creditor Group of Central Arkansas
- Board of Directors, Mitchell Williams
- Managing Editor, University of Arkansas at Little Rock Law Journal (1990)
- WindSong Church of Christ
- Former Member, UALR Foundation Fund Board of Directors
News & Articles