Nick Thompson has 40 years of experience in insurance regulatory law and legislative advocacy. His regulatory relationships and experience as a senior executive with UnitedHealth Group, Inc./UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, Inc. and in private practice, make him a trusted strategic advisor and advocate on a wide range of state, federal and NAIC insurance regulatory and holding company issues. In addition to his experience as an insurance industry executive with the nation’s largest health insurer, Nick served as a state insurance regulator, advisor and legislative assistant to a governor, state counsel to a successful presidential campaign, and state lobbyist for multiple clients, which included national insurance and health care trade associations.
- Led the National Regulatory Affairs team for UnitedHealth Group, Inc. and UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, Inc., overseeing the companies’ advocacy before the NAIC and state insurance departments.
- Assisted UnitedHealth Group Inc. and its insurance subsidiaries with insurance regulatory issues regarding implementation of federal health insurance reform under the Affordable Care Act.
- Oversaw UnitedHealth Group, Inc.’s advocacy with respect to model acts, regulations, examiner handbook/manuals, individual state and multi-state investigations and enforcement actions, including coordinated market conduct and financial examinations, cyber examination, and oversight of holding company activities, including affiliate transactions and supervisory college issues.
- Led the national strategy of a coalition of major health insurers regarding various NAIC initiatives including long term care insolvencies and associated state guaranty association operations.
- Assists insurance companies, insurance agencies, health maintenance organizations, self insured entities and captives on all forms of insurance-related corporate and regulatory matters.
- Represents insurance companies, health maintenance organizations, trade associations and business before the state legislature and in preparing and coordinating legislation.
- Member, American, Arkansas and District of Columbia Bar Associations
- Member, Federation of Regulatory Counsel
- Chair, California Life & Health Insurance Guarantee Association
- Member, Florida Life & Health Insurance Guaranty Association
- Former Board Member, National Organization of Life & Health Guaranty Associations
- Former Chair, National Association of State Comprehensive Health Insurance Pools Board
- Former Board Member, Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Indiana, Louisiana, and Montana (Vice Chair) Life & Health Insurance Guaranty Associations
- Former Chair, American Red Cross Board of Directors (Central Arkansas Chapter)
News & Articles
State Health Insurance Risk Pool Assessments on Excess or Stop-Loss Policies Issued to Self-Insured ERISA Plans: Can ERISA Preemption be Avoided? FORC, November, 2000